Purpose of Fire Alarm and Detection SystemThe working principle is quite simple and there are two main types of fire alarm systems: fire detection systems and sprinklers. fire detection systems are the most common type of fire alarm, and they work by detecting the presence of smoke in the air. Sprinklers are less common, but they are more effective at putting out fires.
Fire Detection SystemThere are two main types of fire detection systems: those that use smoke detectors and those that use heat detectors.
- Smoke detectors work by constantly monitoring the air for particles of burning material, such as smoke, fumes or ashes. They come in two main types: ionization and photoelectric.
- Ionization smoke detectors work by detecting the presence of ions in the air, which are created when smoke particles enter the detector.
- Photoelectric smoke detectors work by detecting the presence of light particles in the air, which are created when smoke particles enter the detector.
- Heat detectors, on the other hand, have sensors that measure changes in temperature.
Both types of systems have their advantages and disadvantages, which should be considered when choosing a system for a particular building.
Smoke detectors are more sensitive than heat detectors and will therefore pick up fires at an earlier stage. This can give people more time to evacuate before the fire spreads and becomes dangerous.
When choosing a fire detection system for a building, it is important to consider its purpose and how likely it is to experience false alarms. In some cases, a combination of both smoke and heat detector systems may be necessary to provide sufficient coverage and avoid disruptive false alarms.
However, smoke detectors can also be triggered by other things besides fires, such as cooking fumes or dust particles, which can cause false alarms. Heat detectors, on the other hand, are not as easily triggered by non-fire-related things but they may not pick up the fire until it has already spread somewhat through a room or area.
SprinklersSprinklers come in two main types: wet pipe and dry pipe.
- Wet pipe sprinklers have water stored in them at all times, so that they can immediately begin spraying water when a fire is detected.
- Dry pipe sprinklers have a valve that prevents water from entering the piping until a fire is detected, at which point the valve opens and water flows into the piping.
Advantages of Fire Detection and Alarm SystemsA well-designed and installed fire detection and alarm system is an important part of a building’s fire safety system.
- Fire detection and alarm systems can provide early warning of a developing fire, allowing occupants to safely evacuate the premises before the fire spreads.
- In many cases, automatic sprinkler systems are also linked to the fire detection and alarm system so that they activate when a fire is detected, suppressing or extinguishing the fire before it has a chance to spread. This can significantly reduce damage to property as well as the risk of injury or death.